Are you frustrated by getting too many SMS or OTP messages on your phone? Here are some ways How to stop getting continuous OTP/SMS Bombing and keep your number safe.
In today’s digital era, One-Time Passwords (OTPs) play a vital role in securing our online accounts and transactions. Whether you’re logging into your email, making online purchases, or accessing your bank account, you often rely on OTPs to verify your identity. While OTPs enhance security, there’s a common annoyance that many people face – receiving continuous OTP messages. This can happen for various reasons, and it can be frustrating. In this informative article, we will explore the reasons behind continuous OTP messages and provide practical solutions to stop them.
What is SMS/OTP Bombing and How That is done?
SMS/OTP bombing, also known as SMS/OTP flooding or text bombing, is a malicious practice in which an individual or a group of attackers inundate a target’s mobile phone with an overwhelming number of text messages or one-time passwords (OTPs) in a short period of time. This bombardment of messages can disrupt the normal functioning of the victim’s device, rendering it unusable.
The main objective behind SMS/OTP bombing is to overwhelm the target and hinder their ability to access important messages, make calls, or conduct any mobile-based transactions. Such attacks may be carried out for various reasons, including harassment, revenge, or as a means to compromise the victim’s online accounts by intercepting OTPs required for authentication.
SMS/OTP bombing poses a significant security and privacy threat, and it is essential for individuals and organizations to be aware of it and take preventive measures to protect themselves from such attacks.
The process of SMS/OTP bombing typically involves the use of automated scripts or software tools, like –
– that generate and send a high volume of text messages or OTPs to the victim’s phone number. Cybercriminals often acquire a list of target phone numbers through various means, such as data breaches, social engineering, or purchasing data from the dark web. Once they have the target numbers, they initiate the SMS/OTP bombing attack by using a bulk messaging tool.
Solutions: How to Stop Continuous OTP Messages on Your Mobile Phone
Now that we understand the possible causes, let’s explore some practical solutions to stop the continuous flow of OTPs:
Method 1: Using Software Tools or Apps
If you want to halt unwanted SMS or OTP messages due to someone misusing your phone number for SMS flooding, there are steps you can take. Consider visiting websites that offer SMS bombing services (mentioned above) and take the initiative to register your number on their Do Not Disturb (DND) list. This action can help prevent further unwanted messages from reaching your device. Here are other website/apps:
The primary choice for most individuals is to utilize mobile applications or websites for these tasks. When searching for an SMS Bombing prank solution, the initial application that appears prominently is BOMBITUP, accessible at https://www.bombitup.net/. The BOMBITUP is not available on the official Google AppStore, so users need to download it from the APK file provided on their website.
Caution: When downloading such APK files from third-party sources, as they may pose security risks, potentially containing harmful rootkits. Always prioritize safety and verify the sources of any applications you choose to install.
Here are various other softwares that allow you to protect your phone number from SMS bombing
Still receiving SMS/OTP bombs despite taking measures to protect your phone number? Try this yourself on your phone
If you’re unsure about the source of the SMS or OTP messages on your phone, you can follow this procedure to block them. As a precaution, start by adding your number to the protected list using the first method. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, you can proceed with the steps detailed below.
- Open Messaging App
- Find the Message
- Long-Press the Message
- Access Message Options
- Select “Block” or “Add to Spam“
- Confirm Block
- Complete the Process
- Open Messages App
- Find the Message
- Tap the Sender’s Name
- Tap the “Info” (i) Icon
- Scroll Down and Tap “Block this Caller“
- Confirm the Block
Managing SMS Bombing: Effective Solutions without Apps or Changes in Settings
Method 3 :
When faced with SMS bombing, you can take several steps to regain control of your phone.
- Begin by activating Airplane mode for a specified time to temporarily disconnect from the network.
- If that doesn’t work, explore temporary blocking techniques, such as enabling “Do Not Disturb” or contacting your mobile service provider for assistance.
- Additionally, consider using SMS blocking apps like Truecaller, RoboKiller, or Spam Blocker to identify and block spam messages.
These solutions are available for both iOS and Android devices, providing effective ways to combat SMS bombing and restore peace to your mobile experience.
Still receiving SMS/OTP bombs despite taking measures to protect your phone number?
If you’re still getting unwanted SMS messages even after protecting your number, it might be because someone is using a script to request OTPs from the company they use for login. This can be a form of cyberbullying, and it’s challenging to identify the person behind it. You should report it to the cyber cell, but also inform the companies about the security issue so they can improve their systems, making it harder for attackers to access their OTP service. This will help prevent such messages in the future.
To report a cybercrime, follow these steps in an informative tone:
- Open your web browser and go to the official website: https://cybercrime.gov.in.
- Once on the homepage, locate and click on the ‘File a complaint‘ option.
- On the following page, carefully read and accept the terms and conditions provided. After that, click on the ‘Report other cybercrime‘ button.
- Choose the ‘citizen login‘ option, and provide the requested information, including your name, email, and phone number.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered phone number. Enter this OTP along with the captcha code, then click on the submit button.
- On the subsequent page, you’ll find a form where you can enter details about the cybercrime you wish to report.
- The form is divided into four sections: General Information, Victim Information, Cybercrime Information, and Preview. Complete all the relevant fields in each section, and take a moment to review the information you’ve entered to ensure its accuracy.
- Once you’ve verified the information, click on the ‘Submit‘ button.
- You will be redirected to a page where you can provide additional details and any supporting evidence of the crime, such as screenshots or files. After entering the required information, click on ‘Save and Next‘.
- If you have any information about the alleged suspect, the next page allows you to provide those details.
- Verify all the information you’ve provided, and then click on the ‘Submit‘ button.
- Upon successful submission, you’ll receive a confirmation message indicating that your complaint has been registered. Additionally, you will receive an email containing your complaint ID and other pertinent details related to your complaint. This ensures that your report has been officially recorded and can be investigated accordingly.
Strategies for Businesses to Defend Against SMS Bombing
Safeguarding against SMS bombing is crucial for businesses to protect their operations, reputation, and customer trust. Here are steps businesses can take to safeguard against SMS bombing:
- Implement Robust Security Measures
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- Rate Limiting and Monitoring
- Use CAPTCHA and Human Verification
- Educate Customers
- Introducing Email Verification
- Limit SMS Communications sensitive transactions and communications
- SMS Filtering and Blacklisting
- Collaborate with Mobile Service Provider
- Develop Incident Response Plan
- Regular Updates and Testing
- Legal Recourse
Continuous OTP messages can be a source of frustration and concern. By understanding the reasons behind them and taking proactive steps to secure your accounts, you can put an end to this annoyance and maintain your digital security. Remember, your online safety is paramount, so stay vigilant and act swiftly if you suspect unauthorized access or suspicious activity on your accounts. With the right measures in place, you can enjoy a more secure and peaceful online experience.
Hi I am Harish. I am a blogger, writer. I am also a photographer. I love to share my thoughts and experiences through the words in my blog. Thank you.